Welcome Diners!

  • ~~Click Image to Purchase this fun doormat~~
  • Thursday, July 16, 2009

    Recipes From Garden Gerty

    Herbed Cottage Cheese Bread

    My son really liked an herb seasoning that I had in my cupboard. It was rosemary and garlic. He puts it on everything. I got to thinking about an old recipe for dilly cheese bread, and looked it up. I converted it to use the other seasoning, and stirred it up in the bread machine. You would have sworn we were a school of sharks, that first loaf was gone in about ten minutes. It was so good, even without butter or anything. It also made great sandwiches. I make the dough in the bread machine, then bake it in the oven. It can be left in the machine and baked on the “basic” setting.

    In bottom of bread machine pan:
    ¼ C. warm (90 degrees) water
    1 packet of bread machine yeast or 1 ½ tsp. yeast from jar
    1 C. cottage cheese, room temp. I use small curd.
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    1 egg
    1 Tbsp. oil (I use olive oil)

    Put 2 ¼ C all purpose flour on top of the liquid ingredients.
    Add ¼ tsp. baking soda
    3 Tbsp. seasoning blend

    The bread that I made second had Canadian Steak Seasoning, also known as Montreal Steak Seasoning. I have also made this with Tone’s brand of Rosemary and Garlic Seasoning.

    The original recipe called for
    1 tsp. instant minced onion
    1 tsp. salt
    2 Tbsp. dill weed or dill seed

    Check your spice blend, if it has salt in it, do not use the salt in the recipe. Never let the salt touch the yeast until the recipe is being mixed. I read somewhere that it kills the yeast.

    If you choose to bake in the oven, use a glass 1 ½ quart casserole, sprayed with cooking spray. Turn the dough out of dough pan, punch down and form into a round in the casserole. Let rise about ten minutes then bake at 325 F. for twenty-five minutes.

    I hope you enjoy your homemade bread.



    Cranky Salad

    This was a favorite even when my kids were young.

    Grate 3 large carrots, and one medium kohlrabi.
    Add a half cup of raisins
    And a half cup of nuts.
    Chop an apple or two finely (dip in lemon juice to stop browning)
    Toss it all together with your favorite salad dressing (good with Miracle Whip thinned with apple juice and sprinkled with nutmeg, possibly a tablespoon full of honey). I named the salad because of the first initials: Carrots, Raisins, Apples, Nuts, Kohlrabi. Have fun,

    Garden Gerty (Heather)

    0 comments: