Welcome Diners!

  • ~~Click Image to Purchase this fun doormat~~
  • Sunday, September 6, 2009

    BBQ Lima Beans

    One day I heard my 2 young sons discussing the best way to eat Lima Beans. “Swallow them whole,” said the oldest. Needless to say, I don’t serve Lima Beans very often. But my 85-year-old great-aunt felt differently about this and one Christmas she handed me this recipe. I’ve never tried the recipe, but have kept it for sentimental reasons...and also because I just knew that someday I would run into someone who loved Lima Beans. Aunt Elsie is now age 97 and is still cooking.

    Aunt Elsie's BBQ Lima Beans

    2 cups dry Lima beans, soaked over night. Cook (in ham broth or add 1/4 salt pork if desired) until tender with onion and celery. Drain. Put in casserole dish, cover with the BBQ sauce, top with 1/4 salt port cut in thin strips (alternate: left over ham bits). Bake in moderate oven for 45 min.

    BBQ Sauce,
    8 oz tomato sauce
    add 1 tsp each of the following:
    Dry mustard,
    salt
    Worcestershire sauce
    chili powder
    pepper
    onion slat or grated onion (juice)

    5 Tbsp. brown sugar
    5 Tbsp. vinegar

    Mix well. Store in refrigerator in covered container.

    Submitted by Sharon Pearson: California Breeze

    0 comments: